The word communication is Latin and literally means to make common. This takes place whenever two or more people interact in order to negotiate meaning. In marriage, this may take the form of continually redefining and negotiating what is happening within the relationship.
According to Barnlund, there are actually six people involved in every two-person communicative situation!!
· How you see yourself;
· How the other person sees him or herself;
· How you see the other person;
· How the other person sees you;
· How you believe the other person sees you;
· How the other person believes you view him or her.
Very important – How we say something is at least as important as what we say!
Tone of voice can make all the difference!
Sources: The Family Journal – Counseling and Therapy for Couples and Families
The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work, Gottman.